When a marriage ends and there are children involved, it is understood in almost all cases that both parents will be responsible for taking care of the children who were a result of the marriage until they are legally adults. This can mean taking care of them in the natural sense or in a monetary sense. However, it is not uncommon for the parent who has been elected to make child support payments to sometimes have trouble fulfilling their obligation. dreamstime_xxl_29730239This is when things get tricky.

If your ex-spouse is refusing to pay their child support payment and you are on good terms, it is a bit simpler. Sitting down and simply having a civil conversation in which you explain that the money they are paying is for the kids can be very beneficial. However, if you are not on good terms with your ex-spouse or if they still continue to miss child support payments after you talk to them, it may be time to get your Fort Collins attorney involved. There are a few measures that can be taken in order to to ensure that payment occurs in the future:

  • Income execution can be issue which requires that the child support amount be deducted directly from the payer’s monthly income.
  • The payer’s driver’s license can be suspended until payment is made.
  • The payer may be taken to jail.

We understand that this is not a situation anyone wants to be in, but when you are not being given the help to support your children that you need, then something must be done. Trust the attorneys at The Law Offices of Loomis & Greene to help you through this difficult time. Call us today!