Likely, you were driven to speak to a top-notch bankruptcy lawyer, such as The Law Offices of Loomis & Greene near Wellington, because you are feeling overwhelmed with debt. Your expert bankruptcy lawyer has guided you through filing bankruptcy a…Read More
Sometimes divorce is necessary…and this means taking one life and separating it into two. Often this is a very ugly process but it’s not always a nasty battle. Sometimes a couple will make a mutual decision to dissolve their marriage (or separate) without contention as they both think it is what is best for both of them, and often for their children. In fact, many times respectful communication remains and every facet of the divorce are agreed upon once they couple chooses to dissolve the marriage. This means that when an attorney is contacted to process the action, the typical fees of between $1,500 and $5,000 seem unjustified and unnecessary to the parties involved.
In cases like this, couples may elect to file for divorce on their own – after all, there are no disputes to settle, so why should each party spend a ton of money for help with paperwork and paperwork only? However, the no-lawyer option of selecting and completing the correct online forms, completing the statutory child support and maintenance calculations, filing the case with the court and schedule necessary court hearings on their own can soon become confusing and overwhelming in its complexity. So despite the fact that they have a simple, straightforward case, the legal process can be a nightmare that cannot be overcome without help.
The Law Offices of Loomis & Greene have created another option for couples that find themselves in a situation like this. For over 20 years, we have been offering our “Do-It-Yourself divorce” solution. If you and your spouse feel that you can agree on all the issues in your case, and you simply need assistance in getting through the overly complex legal system, then we can help!
THE STEPS ARE EASY:
- We will meet together for an interview to gather all necessary information.
- Based on that information, Loomis & Greene will draft all the documents needed to complete the divorce, tailored to your case and circumstances.*
- Approximately 3-5 days later we will email the documents to both of you for review. At that time, any changes, corrections or additions will be made per your request, and we will resend the corrected documents.
- Once the final versions are completed, we will get your signatures and file your case with the court on your behalf. You should get a Decree of Divorce approximately 100 days thereafter.
The entire Do-It-Yourself Divorce process costs a one-time flat-rate attorney fee of $1,250.00**. If you would like to schedule an appointment to discuss the specific details of your case, we would be happy to meet with you.
The Pros of Do-It-Yourself Divorces
The main benefit to choosing a do-it-yourself divorce is that is can save you money. When you choose to hire a divorce attorney, you will likely have to spend a pretty penny as there is no telling how long you will need your representation. Another bonus is that you have more control over your case than you would otherwise. You have the ability to approach your spouse about different aspects of your divorce or file motions in the court.
The Cons of Do-It-Yourself Divorces
On the other hand, while do-it-yourself divorces are a cheaper option, that does not mean that they are the easiest option or that it is the best-suited option for your specific case. Even the simplest and most amicable of divorces still requires a hefty amount of legal paperwork. Additionally, a do-it-yourself divorce becomes much more difficult when there are children as a result of the marriage.
Questions You May Want To Ask Your Attorney
1. “My spouse and myself have agreed upon all aspects of our divorce and we want a lawyer to draft our divorce paperwork. Is this a bad idea?”
2. “I don’t have enough money to hire an attorney for my divorce. I would like legal advice but I still want the majority of control in handling my case. What should I do?”
3. “My spouse and I have no children and we were only married for a handful of years, however, my spouse owns a business. Should I hire a divorce attorney?”
Contact the Law Offices of Loomis and Greene today and learn more about how we can assist you in your non-contest divorce.
*Certain limitations apply that will be discussed with you at your initial consultation.
**The court also charges a filing fee of $230, which is not included in the $1,250 attorney fee.